Duffy’s Top 5 Reads of 2014
I have poured over so many great books this year, it has been bloody hard to choose my top 5! On any given day, this list could change, but today, these are my choices. Kick off your New Year with a cracking book and escape into a world of time travel, cold blooded creepiness, exceptional bravery, Venetian history, or the dark underbelly of Sydney…
5) Hades. Hades is an underworld crime figure who is respected and feared in equal measure. One day his life changes when a delivery to dispose of arrives at his door. His decision unleashes a pair of cold, calculating, brilliant twins on the world.
4) Masquerade. 2014 was my first toe-dip into YA fiction and Masquerade was glamourous, well paced and conjures images of opulent masked balls and seductive whispers in Venetian gondolas. Gossip Girl meets Cruel Intentions.
3) Back Again. Many authors self publish, but only a few really stand out as gold. Susan May’s original story asks the question; ‘If you had to re-live a tragic accident time and again, in the hope of saving your son, would you go back?’
2) One Kick. Heart in your throat story which gets right under your skin and stays there. The story of Kick and what happens to her after escaping the clutches of a paedophile ring gave me a book hangover I could not shake for some time. A slick, smart thriller with another strong female protagonist.
1) YOU. YOU is by far the most original, spine tingling, brain blasting book I have read in a long time. If you loved the sarcastic, psychotic Patrick Bateman in American Psycho and the intellect and charm of Hannibal Lecter, you will follow Joe to the very chilling end.
Thank you to Random House, Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to enjoy and blog and about these wonderful books.
Which were your top 5 reads of the year?