Book Blast! Why We Argue and How to Stop
Why We Argue and How to Stop: A Therapist’s Guide to Navigating Disagreements, Managing Emotions, and Creating Healthier Relationships
You don’t have to go to every argument you’re invited to.
We all argue, but understanding why can help you avoid some of those foot-in-your-mouth moments where you say something you know you’ll regret.
Therapist Jerry Manney shares his 35 years of clinical experience counseling individuals and families to help you understand why we argue and how to stop. You’ll learn how to replace heated conflicts with productive collaboration, whether you’re dealing with a restless child, a grumpy coworker, or your most intimate partner.
Why We Argue and How to Stop will teach you how to:
- Transform damaging arguments into healthy disagreements so everyone can get their concerns heard and considered.
- Recognize when your emotions are taking over so you can maintain your composure before you speak, and take a break before things get worse.
- Take a step back and see things from the other person’s perspective so you can both get what you want.
- Turn disagreements into fun and collaborative problem-solving exercises that will help you find solutions everyone can agree on.
- Avoid attending every argument you’re invited to.
- Find help for frequent conditions that can contribute to individual and interpersonal stress, including depression, anxiety disorders, trauma, substance use disorders, and domestic violence.
Jerry combines his professional expertise with scientifically-validated communication tools, the research of other professionals, and his many years of personal experience to deliver a practical and humorous guide in Why We Argue and How to Stop.
With guided questions and plenty of opportunities to reflect in your own journal, you’ll get to practice using your new tools and techniques for healthier communication before applying them in your real-life interactions.
Humans are meant to work together, and it’s a lot more fun when we do.
Readers who enjoyed The Relationship Fix by Jenn Mann, The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman, and The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman will find Why We Argue and How to Stop a helpful guide and valuable addition to their libraries.
Follow Duffythewriter for more hidden book gems!